Friday 25 May 2012

Um......why is it not bigger?

It's a question that all gardeners ask at some stage.  Not often at this stage of the year perhaps, but eventually. I was asking it because being somewhat spatially challenged,  I had just discovered that my master plan had fallen down on one major criterion.  Planning.   Bit of a flaw in a masterplan really.  It was a good plan, in my head, where the garden is considerably bigger.  It would have been a better plan, if heavily reworked, if I'd gone out and actually measured stuff (which as my ex always said was not something I was ever good at. Lucky for him I say!).  But it was raining, torrentially, constantly, miserably, raining.  I may have mentioned this before.  It's been a bit of a feature. 

Anyhoo, this was my yard this morning:


The right hand side as you look at it was where the chickens used to live,  the coop has been re-purposed elsewhere (more of that later), the left, last year, was where the tunnel was.  Now looking at it, even I can see that my plan to shift the tunnel through 90 degrees and add four raised beds in the space it used to occupy was doomed to failure, but in my head it worked, ok?

So on with the motley, I put the cover back on (entertaining when you're as short as me and surprise pockets of water are lurking therein) and shifted it round.  It became apparent at that point that 4 beds may have been a little optimistic.

But I have a rammed growhouse full of seedlings! and I haven't even put the swede in yet! 

I should probably point out that my garden is not supposed to look like a scrap merchants yard, It got savagely re-arranged by the chickens, yes, but actually the messiness is caused by a bit of a chinese tile puzzle sort of effect where you have to move one thing beforeyou can slide another thing in to take its place.  On the right is the wood pile, never elegant.  On the left is the tyre pile, left from growing potatoes.  I have a cunning plan for them.  And yet more chicken run bits. 

Last year, I had a bit of a problem with things blowing away, or over so this year my first move is going to be to guy rope the tunnel to the ground and nail it to the fence, at the back, and some tree stakes, at the front.  And if you never thought Girl Guides was useful, and I know I didn't, I have to thank them for still being able to make a useful sliding knot out of clothes line for my guy ropes, all these years later. 

As you can see, there's not much yard left now, but I reckon I can still get 2 beds in at the end.  For the third, may I introduce you to - tyre pile.  Would've had to store them somewhere anyway so why not use them as instant raised beds?
Et viola! tunnel moved, plan completely replanned, beans planted (tho I hadn't intended to do that I just got carried away!),  The plants in buckets are peas, to appease (sorry) the furry garden pests (see Garden Pests and how to feed them.....)

Next step: cleaning the ground inside the tunnel and making beds for the tomatoes and peppers.  I'l catch up when I'm done :)




No comments:

Post a Comment