Thursday 10 May 2012

Garden Pests, and how to feed them.........

I've just been out to check on the beans I planted out yesterday.  I hadn't started my day expecting to plant out beans but one thing led to another and before I knew it I was thinking, 'well...I could put those in there...and those over there....' as you do.  Astonishingly, they're still there, this is something of an acheivement. 
Runner Beans (stick beans?)

Usually I provide beans, lettuce, cabbage etc. every year in the garden to nourish and nurture the local slug and snail population.  Few people in my area seem to grow veggies in their back yard so I've always thought that word gets out that my house has laid on buffet for everyone.  As it started to rain, torrentially as soon as I finished firming them in I fully expected them to form the entree for this year's banquet.

Slug's eye view

Which begs the question of why I do it in the first place.  Well, that's because with the survivors (from the slugs) I can fend off and occupy my other slightly furrier, garden pests!
If you see any of these three predators, do not let them near any edible vegetables. Peas, pea foliage, raw beans, cabbage, salads and any kind of fruit are all attacked without mercy.  Do not be taken in by the long ears and fluffy cuteness as I suspect at least one of them is faking it.  I'm just not sure which one yet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment