Saturday 5 May 2012

Oooh! Can I steal your dandelions?

Now that's not something you hear everyday, but next door had such a fabulous crop and they didn't really want them and I like to homebrew and.........you can see where this is going can't you?  Yup, dandelion beer.  It could be dandelion wine but my middle name isn't Patience.  There's a reason for that. 

The only thing the garden has produced this year thus far is nettles (already brewing) and a couple of pathetic dandelions but I think things are improving.  I have a growhouse full of  all the plants I grew from the seeds in the previous post, almost all of them germinated enthusiastically except the aubergines, which are traditionally temperamental so I was well impressed, good effort Seed Parade (where I bought the seeds) http://www.seedparade.co.uk/.  The aubergines are still slouching around like a teenager on a monday morning, still, they never ripen anyway.  Everything is getting to the point where I really need it to stop raining for a few days so I can put the tunnel up. 

UK readers will know that we had a minor heat wave through March, during which I did a lot of garden tidying, followed by a solid month of torrential rain, during which I stayed indoors and sulked.  And planted more seeds, and ordered more seeds, and planted them, untill I ran out of room.  So now I really, really need the weather to stop mucking around and make like it understands that it is now spring/summer before the house and growhouse reach critical mass.

One of the things I've planted is burdock, which I'm rather hoping will go with the dandelion eventually.  Strangely after spending two days researching burdock and where I could get some seeds I realised I had some on the dining table, coated in graphite paint ready to electroform.  I gathered them last autumn from a nearby park.  Doh! So now we will find out if paint prevents germination.

No comments:

Post a Comment