Friday 8 June 2012

Putting food on the table.........differently!

One of the things that we love to eat is salad.  One of the things I consistently fail to grow is salad.  This leaves us at something of an impasse.  I was considering putting the salad veg in the tunnel, then I came across the concept of salad tables.  This is a raised bed idea that takes advantage of the fact that most salad veg is not deep rooted and it would be useful to keep it out of the reach of slugs and snails. 

Starting at the beginning, we used to have chickens.  We loved them lots and while they were with us they destroyed my garden whilst giving us eggs.  They were also a bit too much for the space we had so when they reached the natural conclusion of their lives I didn't replace them. This left me with a substantial homemade chicken hutch that I was loath to just get rid of or destroy that was leading me gently towards an idea. In truth it was a kind of convergent thinking really, as other people had clearly come to the same conclusions as I had, just I started off kindof from the other end. 

So I stripped the hutch down until it was a table with a framework for putting a cover on later. And Tadah! I had a salad table.


These guys got there first http://www.growit.umd.edu/SaladTablesandSaladBoxes/ but mine was cheaper LOL. 

I first set it up on 7th May this year

So Far So Good!

and things started germinating just 6 days later!
The nearest section contains spring onions, radishes and carrots, the middle is all salad leaves and peas (for leaves) and I just had some other stuff on the end.


I was frankly astonished at how well it was going.  So I eventually sorted the other end out and planted up the summer cabbages, curly kale some more carrots (round this time) and threw some seeds at the leftover space - coriander and rocket.  Again germination was swift and viola!


This is what it looks like now.  We've been cropping from it lightly for a week or so already and I'm liking this idea a lot.  It's giving me about 10sq ft extra to plant and the slugs haven't yet found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment